Everyone generation has their King Kong. Though there is no disputing the original 1933 classic, the 1976 version with Jeff Bridges is my Kong. I grew up with it on late night TV. So when Scream Factory dropped news of a Collector's Edition I started banging my chest (while on the roof of the house). Full details and pre-order link below!
Press Release: Los Angeles, CA –On May 11, 2021, Scream Factory proudly presents King Kong (1976) on Blu-ray for the first time in North America. The sweeping 70s remake of the classic tale comes home in a 2-disc definitive collector’s edition set including both the theatrical cut with a new restored theatrical stereo track and an extended TV broadcast cut with a new 2k scan of the additional TV footage from the internegative. The release also comes packed with bonus features including new audio commentary with film historian Ray Morton (author of KING KONG – THE HISTORY OF A MOVIE ICON) and several new interviews with cast and crew. Fans who order from shoutfactory.com will also receive an exclusive poster featuring brand-new artwork, while supplies last.
The Petrox company’s search for new oil reserves on a strange island unleashes a terror unseen by civilized man—KING KONG! The timeless story of a “beauty” (Jessica Lange, making her feature-film debut) and a “beast” comes to the screen in this ambitious production from Dino De Laurentiis. Charles Grodin is the scheming oil company shark out to exploit the giant beast to his fullest. And Jeff Bridges is the desperate hero, Jack Prescott, who attempts to wrest the beautiful heroine from King Kong’s grasp. New York City trembles with each echoing footstep of the towering ape set loose in the streets!
DISC 1: Theatrical Cut
- NEW Audio Commentary with film historian Ray Morton (author of KING KONG – THE HISTORY OF A MOVIE ICON)
- NEW Audio interview with special makeup effects wizard Rick Baker
- NEW Something’s Haywire – an interview with actor Jack O’Halloran
- NEW On the Top of the World - an interview with assistant director David McGiffert and production manager Brian Frankish
- NEW Maybe in their Wildest Dreams – an interview with sculptor Jack Varner
- NEW There’s A Fog Bank Out There – an interview with second unit director William Kronick
- NEW From Space to Apes - an interview with photographic effects assistant Barry Nolan
- NEW When the Monkey Dies, Everybody Cries – an interview with production assistants Jeffrey Chernov and Scott Thaler
- Audio: DTS-HD 5.1 and NEW restored theatrical DTS-HD 2.0 stereo track
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
- Still Galleries – posters, lobby cards, behind-the-scenes photos
DISC 2: Extended TV Broadcast Cut
· NEW 2K scan of the additional TV footage from the internegative
· KING KONG panel discussion from the Aero Theater (2016)
About Shout! Factory
Shout! Factory, LLC is a leading multi-platform media company devoted to film and TV distribution, development, and production, as well as the preservation and revitalization of the very best in pop-culture entertainment. Founded by Richard Foos, Bob Emmer, and Garson Foos in 2003, Shout! owns and manages a large portfolio of films, contemporary and classic TV series, animation, and documentaries. The company’s creative acquisition mandate has established it as a leading independent distributor, with partners and properties including GKIDS, Sesame Street, The Carol Burnett Show, The Johnny Carson Show, IFC Films, Stephen J. Cannell Productions, ITV Studios, Major League Baseball Productions, and many others. Shout! Factory Kids focuses on live-action and animated kids and family properties, and the company releases films and television shows in other genres under the Scream Factory and Shout Select imprints. Shout! develops, acquires and distributes new films via Shout! Studios, owns and operates libraries including Mystery Science Theater 3000 (in partnership with creator Joel Hodgson) and the Roger Corman New Horizon Pictures Library, and operates the acclaimed streaming service Shout! Factory TV. Shout! Factory is based in Los Angeles, California. For more on Shout! Factory, visit shoutfactory.com.